Multi-Unit Dwelling (MUD)

Multi-Unit Dwelling (MUD)

A multiple unit dwelling is the use of a premises as the principal place of longer term residence by several discrete households, domestic groups or individuals irrespective of the building form. Multi-Unit Dwellings may be contained on one lot or each dwelling unit may be contained on its own land subject to Community Title Schemes. Examples of other forms of multi-unit dwelling include boarding house, retirement villages, nursing home, orphanage or childrens home, aged care accommodation, residential development for people with special needs, hostel, institution (primary residential in nature) or community dwelling. The term Multi-Unit dwelling does NOT include a house or single unit dwelling. This type of use will always require development approval, please give us a call to discuss.



Steffan Town Planning is an established town planning consultancy based in Brisbane, South-East Queensland. We have years of experience managing town planning applications from the preparation to the decision stage, and offer our clients the best chance to gain an approval for all types of development.


We value every client equally and offer a personal, hands-on approach no matter the size of your project. Steffan Town Planning provides town planning advice as well as all other services associated with town planning issues in Queensland. Please refer to the ‘Services’ section for all our town planning services.


Whether you are looking to build a house, add an extension, respond to a Council show cause notice, start a business (commercial or industrial) or subdivide a block, please don’t hesitate to contact us for all your town planning needs!



Town Planning Services



Steffan Town Planning can provide free advice in relation to your small lot enquiries and can prepare and lodge development applications to vary planning scheme requirements if necessary.


Most houses built prior to Dec 31st 1946 are considered to be under demolition control. Any alteration to these types of houses require development approval. We deal regularly with this type of approval and can ensure a smooth turnaround.


Some development will not trigger a planning approval because of its use, rather due to the proposal of building work itself. Most common in Ipswich, certain development will require development approval for building works assessed against the planning scheme.


A centre activity use can encompass quite a wide range of activities including a shop, office, restaurant, church, venue, bar…etc. Depending on the zoning of your property it may trigger a development approval.